The UO Horn Studio is a diverse group of UO students who study and improve their skills on the horn through a variety of degree programs. Every student has a one-hour private weekly lesson and attends studio class during the week. Students can participate in large ensembles, chamber music ensembles, horn ensemble, and perform solo recitals in various venues and organizations throughout the University music community.
Most students in the horn studio are music majors (education or performance), but there are also non-majors that participate in the studio and the school of music.
We are hosting the Northwest Horn Symposium, 2015 -- April 10-12
RECENT EVENTS AND OTHER COOL STUFF
Denise Tryon Masterclass, Monday, Nov. 17, 7-9 pm, SOMD rm. 190.
Professor Van Dreel has released a new solo CD: New Millennium Music for Horn, available at CD Baby, iTunes, Amazon, and various streaming music sites.
International Horn Symposium - London Professor Van Dreel presented on "Technology in Performance and Pedagogy"
UO Horn students participated in the 2014 Northwest Horn Symposium where we performed as a Horn Ensemble. Also, Mara Liechty took home double gold, winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition!
Kelsi McGlothin, Junior Horn Performance Major won a concerto performance with the Oregon Sinfonietta. January 19, Portland, Oregon.
Andrew Clark, Natural Horn Master Class, Friday, February 7, noon - 1:30 pm, room 190
Roger Kaza Master Class, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 1 pm. UO School of Music and Dance.
We do fun stuff, like this!
Members of the UO Horn Studio participated in the Northwest Horn Symposium in Bozeman, MT, in April of 2013. The UO horn ensemble performed, and a horn quartet premiered STRIA, a new horn quartet by Evan C. Paul.
Recent guest artists:
Susan Anderson (MM '12) performed Radiohead's OK Computer with the Portland Cello Project (subbing with the City of Tomorrow)
Susan has also opened a repair studio: Jackalope Brassworks, LLC
Associate Professor of Horn, Lydia Van Dreel, can be heard playing on the Chrysler 2012 Superbowl ad. Alex Ross wrote about it in his blog.
HORN STUDIO CLASS SCHEDULE -Spring 2015
Week 1: Tuesday, March 31 – horn ensemble
Thursday, April 2 —horn ensemble with Dr. Dorsey
Week 2: Monday, April 6 – brass class – Henniger and McWhorter
Tuesday, April 7 – jazz intro
Thursday, April 9 – horn ensemble
NW Horn Symposium April 10, 11, 12
Week 3: Tuesday, April 14 – symposium post-mortem
Thursday, April 16 – performance class
Week 4: Monday, April 20 – Brass Class – Van Dreel and Grose
Tuesday, April 21 – performance class
Thursday, April 24– performance class
Week 5: Tuesday, April 28 -- performance class
Thursday, April 30 – performance class
Week 6: Monday, May 4 – Brass Class – Henniger and McWhorter
Week 7: Tuesday, May 12 – Ein Heldenleben reading
Thursday, May 14 – performance class
Week 8: Monday, May 18 – All That Brass! 8 pm, room 190
Tuesday, May 19 – performance class
Thursday, May 21 – performance class
Saturday, May 23 – Kelsi McGlothin, Senior Recital – 6 pm, Beall
Week 9: Tuesday, May 26 – performance class
Thursday, May 28 – performance class
Week 10: Tuesday, June 2 – Master Class, Alex Rosenthal
- Good luck, Margarite Waddell, BM '14, as you continue in graduate studies at San Francisco Conservatory
- Congratulations, Mara Liechty, MMusEd '14 on your new position as band director at Junction City, High School
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGlothin, current Senior in horn performance, for winning the 2nd horn position in the Oregon Mozart Players, and the Asst. Principal position in the Rogue Valley Symphony
- Congratulations, Eric Grunkemeyer, MM '14 for winning the 4th horn position with the Rogue Valley Symphony
- Sarah Morrow, MM '14, spent the summer of '14 touring Europe as principal horn with the Blue Lake Festival Orchestra
- Congratulations, Mara Liechty, BM performance and education '13, MMus Eduction '14, for winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition at the Northwest Horn Symposium '14.
- Congratulations, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for your new job as a repair tech at Wally's!
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGothin, senior in horn performance, for winning the2014 Oregon Sinfonietta Concerto Competition.
- Congratulations, Arryn Bess, currently a senior in Music Ed, for winning first place in the horn category at DCI International!
- Congratulations, Erika Rudnicki, B.MusEd '08, MM '10, for your new job as dean of elementary school students in Seattle, WA.
- Congratulation, Margarite Waddell, BM '14, for winning the position of Asst. principal horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony, spring 2013
- Bret Eason, currently a Masters in Music Ed at UO, was a member of the National Intercollegiate Band, 2013.
- Michelle Stuart, MM '14 student, performed chamber music in Eagle Creek, Oregon, and participated in the 2013 and 2014 IHS symposium.
- Eric Grunkeymeyer, MM '14 student, toured Europe with the 2013 Blue Lake Festival Orchestra.
- Rebecaa Olason, BM '12, toured Maryland, Michigan and Indiana during the summer of 2013 with her chamber group, Exalt Brass.
- Margarite Waddell, BM '14 spent the summer of 2012 at Brevard and the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Rebecca Olason, BM '12, graduated from The Peabody Conservatory in 2014 with her MM in horn performance.
- Caitlin Brody, Post-Bacchalareate studies, graduated from UCLA in 2014 with her MM in horn performance.
- Kai Finlayson, BM cum laude '10, is a teaching fellow at NYU pursuing a PHD in Musicology.
- Sarah Van Dusen, MM '08 and GTF, is currently pursuing a PHD in Education at UC Boulder.
- Congratulations, John Dodge, MM '10, for winning the position of Associate Principal Horn position with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Santiago in Santiago, Chile.
- Congratulation, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for winning the position of 4th horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony in the fall of 2011.