The UO Horn Studio is a diverse group of UO students who study and improve their skills on the horn through a variety of degree programs. Every student has a one-hour private weekly lesson and attends studio class during the week. Students can participate in large ensembles, chamber music ensembles, horn ensemble, and perform solo recitals in various venues and organizations throughout the University music community.
Most students in the horn studio are music majors (education or performance), but there are also non-majors that participate in the studio and the school of music.
International Horn Symposium - London Professor Van Dreel will be presenting on "Technology in Performance and Pedagogy"
RECENT EVENTS AND OTHER COOL STUFF
UO Horn students participated in the 2014 Northwest Horn Symposium where we performed as a Horn Ensemble. Also, Mara Liechty took home double gold, winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition!
Kelsi McGlothin, Junior Horn Performance Major won a concerto performance with the Oregon Sinfonietta. January 19, Portland, Oregon.
Andrew Clark, Natural Horn Master Class, Friday, February 7, noon - 1:30 pm, room 190
Roger Kaza Master Class, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 1 pm. UO School of Music and Dance.
We do fun stuff, like this!
Members of the UO Horn Studio participated in the Northwest Horn Symposium in Bozeman, MT, in April of 2013. The UO horn ensemble performed, and a horn quartet premiered STRIA, a new horn quartet by Evan C. Paul.
Recent guest artists:
Susan Anderson (MM '12) performed Radiohead's OK Computer with the Portland Cello Project (subbing with the City of Tomorrow)
Susan has also opened a repair studio: Jackalope Brassworks, LLC
Associate Professor of Horn, Lydia Van Dreel, can be heard playing on the Chrysler 2012 Superbowl ad. Alex Ross wrote about it in his blog.
HORN STUDIO CLASS SCHEDULE - Spring 2014
Week 1 - Tuesday, April 1 – Performance Class
Thursday, April 3 – Student Forum The Business of Music
Part 1 “Presenting Yourself Professionally” Molly Barth
Sunday, April 6, 11-1 Horn Ensemble Rehearsal for NWHS
Week 2 – Tuesday, April 8, Performance Class
Thursday, April 10, Excerpt class (OMP, Spokane audition lists)
Friday, April 11 – Northwest Horn Symposium PSU
Saturday, April 12, 4:30pm, Horn Ensemble performance at NWHS
Sunday, April 13, 11 am, Horn and Technology presentation NWHS
Week 3 -- Tuesday, April 15, Performance Class
Thursday, April 17, Excerpts Class
Week 4 -- Monday, April 21, Young Blood Brass Band, South Eugene High School
Tuesday, April 22, Performance Class
Thursday, April 24, Student Forum – Music Advising
Saturday, April 26, 7 pm Jenny Mendoza Recital-163
Sunday, April 27, 8 pm Eric Grunkemeyer, Master’s Recital-Beall
Week 5 -- Monday, April 28, Brass Class, Chris Dickey, Euphonium, 7 pm, 190
Tuesday, April 29 - Horn Ensemble 'Jericho'
Thursday, May 1 - Horn Ensemble 'Jericho'
Week 6 -- Monday, All That Brass! Concert 7:30 pm Beall
Tuesday, May 6, Performance Class
Thursday, May 8, Mock Audition (video taped)
Week 7 – Tuesday, May 13 – Horn Ensemble 'Jericho'
Thursday, May 15 Student Forum The Business of Music
Part 2 “Presenting Yourself Professionally” Molly Barth
Saturday, May 17, Arryn Bess Recital - 190
Week 8 -- Monday, May 19, Brass Class
Tuesday, May 20, Performance Class
Thursday, May 22, Mock Audition video review
Saturday, May 24, 4pm Michelle Stuart, Master’s Recital – Beall
7pm Amos Heifner, Junior Recital - 190
Week 9 -- Tuesday, May 27, Performance Class
6pm, Sarah Morrow, Master’s Recital - Beall
Thursday, May 29, Student Forum – Music Research Presentations
Week 10 – Tuesday, June 3, Performance Class
Thursday, Student Forum – Music Awards Ceremony Beall
- Congratulations, Mara Liechty, BM performance and education '13, MMus Eduction '14, for winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition at the Northwest Horn Symposium '14.
- Congratulations, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for your new job as a repair tech at Wally's!
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGothin, junior in horn performance, for winning the Oregon Sinfonietta Concerto Competition.
- Congratulations, Arryn Bess, for winning first place in the horn category at DCI International!
- Congratulations, Erika Rudnicki, B.MusEd '08, MM '10, for your new job as dean of elementary school students in Seattle, WA.
- Congratulation, Margarite Waddell, Senior, for winning the position of Asst. principal horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony, spring 2013
- Bret Eason, currently a junior in Music Ed at UO, was a member of the National Intercollegiate Band, 2013.
- Michelle Stuart, a second year MM student, performed chamber music in Eagle Creek, Oregon, and participated in the 2013 IHS symposium.
- Eric Grunkeymeyer, a second year MM student, toured Europe with the 2013 Blue Lake Festival Orchestra.
- Rebecaa Olason, BM '12, toured Maryland, Michigan and Indiana during the summer of 2013 with her chamber group, Exalt Brass.
- Margarite Waddell, currently a senior at UO, spent the summer of 2012 at Brevard and the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Rebecca Olason, BM '12, is attending the Peabody Conservatory pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Caitlin Brody, Post-Bacchalareate studies, is attending UCLA pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Kai Finlayson, BM cum laude '10, is a teaching fellow at NYU pursuing a PHD in Musicology.
- Sarah Van Dusen, MM '08 and GTF, is currently pursuing a PHD in Education at UC Boulder.
- Congratulations, John Dodge, MM '10, for winning the position of Associate Principal Horn position with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Santiago in Santiago, Chile.
- Congratulation, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for winning the position of 4th horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony in the fall of 2011.