The UO Horn Studio is a diverse group of UO students who study and improve their skills on the horn through a variety of degree programs. Every student has a one-hour private weekly lesson and attends studio class during the week. Students can participate in large ensembles, chamber music ensembles, horn ensemble, and perform solo recitals in various venues and organizations throughout the University music community.
Most students in the horn studio are music majors (education or performance), but there are also non-majors that participate in the studio and the school of music.
Denise Tryon Masterclass, Monday, Nov. 17, 7-9 pm, SOMD rm. 190.
RECENT EVENTS AND OTHER COOL STUFF
Professor Van Dreel has released a new solo CD: New Millennium Music for Horn, available at CD Baby, iTunes, Amazon, and various streaming music sites.
International Horn Symposium - London Professor Van Dreel presented on "Technology in Performance and Pedagogy"
UO Horn students participated in the 2014 Northwest Horn Symposium where we performed as a Horn Ensemble. Also, Mara Liechty took home double gold, winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition!
Kelsi McGlothin, Junior Horn Performance Major won a concerto performance with the Oregon Sinfonietta. January 19, Portland, Oregon.
Andrew Clark, Natural Horn Master Class, Friday, February 7, noon - 1:30 pm, room 190
Roger Kaza Master Class, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 1 pm. UO School of Music and Dance.
We do fun stuff, like this!
Members of the UO Horn Studio participated in the Northwest Horn Symposium in Bozeman, MT, in April of 2013. The UO horn ensemble performed, and a horn quartet premiered STRIA, a new horn quartet by Evan C. Paul.
Recent guest artists:
Susan Anderson (MM '12) performed Radiohead's OK Computer with the Portland Cello Project (subbing with the City of Tomorrow)
Susan has also opened a repair studio: Jackalope Brassworks, LLC
Associate Professor of Horn, Lydia Van Dreel, can be heard playing on the Chrysler 2012 Superbowl ad. Alex Ross wrote about it in his blog.
HORN STUDIO CLASS SCHEDULE - Fall 2014
Week 1: Tuesday, Sept. 30 -- Welcome - Horn Ensemble Reading – bring horns
Thursday, Oct. 2 – Student Forum Rm. 178 “Planning for Success” Music Undergrad advising
Week 2: Monday, Oct. 6 – Brass Class – OBQ Recital, 7:30 PM, Beall Hall
Tuesday, Oct. 7 – Listening. Bring pencils and paper.
Thursday, Oct. 9 – Student Forum Rm. 178 “Music Research Basics and Beyond”
Week 3: Tuesday, Oct. 14 – No Class – Lydia in ESO youth concert
Thursday, Oc.t 16 – Horn Ensemble
Week 4: Monday, Oct. 20 – Brass Class, Rm. 190 – McWhorter “I Live for Art”
Tuesday, Oct. 21 – Performance Class
Thursday, Oct. 23 – No Class – Lydia at Linn College
Week 5: Tuesday, Oct. 28 – Intro to Audition Preparation
Thursday, Oct. 30 – Student Forum Rm. 178 “Navigating Your Career in the Creative Arts”
Week 6: Monday, Nov. 3 – Brass Class – OWQ recital, 7:30 pm, Beall Hall
Tuesday, Nov. 4 – Performance Class
Thursday, Nov. 6 – Student Forum Rm. 173 “Introduction to Feldenkrais”
Week 7: Tuesday, Nov. 11 – Intro to Pedagogy
Thursday, Nov. 13 – LARGE ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS WINTER TERM
Week 8: Monday, Nov. 17 – Brass Class, Rm. 190, Master Class, Denise Tryon 7-9 PM
Tuesday, Nov. 18 – Performance Class
Thursday, Nov. 20 – Horn Ensemble
Week 9: Monday, Nov. 24 – OBQ and students benefit concert**
Tuesday, Nov. 25 – Horn Ensemble
Thursday, Nov. 27 – THANKSGIVING
Tuesday, Dec. 2 – Performance Class
Thursday, Dec. 4 – Performance Class
**Special Event** Monday, November 24, 7:30 pm -Holiday Brass Benefit Concert,
OBQ and student groups perform to benefit Opportunity Village
- Good luck, Margarite Waddell, BM '14, as you continue in graduate studies at San Francisco Conservatory
- Congratulations, Mara Liechty, MMusEd '14 on your new position as band director at Junction City, High School
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGlothin, current Senior in horn performance, for winning the 2nd horn position in the Oregon Mozart Players, and the Asst. Principal position in the Rogue Valley Symphony
- Congratulations, Eric Grunkemeyer, MM '14 for winning the 4th horn position with the Rogue Valley Symphony
- Sarah Morrow, MM '14, spent the summer of '14 touring Europe as principal horn with the Blue Lake Festival Orchestra
- Congratulations, Mara Liechty, BM performance and education '13, MMus Eduction '14, for winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition at the Northwest Horn Symposium '14.
- Congratulations, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for your new job as a repair tech at Wally's!
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGothin, senior in horn performance, for winning the2014 Oregon Sinfonietta Concerto Competition.
- Congratulations, Arryn Bess, currently a senior in Music Ed, for winning first place in the horn category at DCI International!
- Congratulations, Erika Rudnicki, B.MusEd '08, MM '10, for your new job as dean of elementary school students in Seattle, WA.
- Congratulation, Margarite Waddell, BM '14, for winning the position of Asst. principal horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony, spring 2013
- Bret Eason, currently a Masters in Music Ed at UO, was a member of the National Intercollegiate Band, 2013.
- Michelle Stuart, MM '14 student, performed chamber music in Eagle Creek, Oregon, and participated in the 2013 and 2014 IHS symposium.
- Eric Grunkeymeyer, MM '14 student, toured Europe with the 2013 Blue Lake Festival Orchestra.
- Rebecaa Olason, BM '12, toured Maryland, Michigan and Indiana during the summer of 2013 with her chamber group, Exalt Brass.
- Margarite Waddell, BM '14 spent the summer of 2012 at Brevard and the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Rebecca Olason, BM '12, graduated from The Peabody Conservatory in 2014 with her MM in horn performance.
- Caitlin Brody, Post-Bacchalareate studies, graduated from UCLA in 2014 with her MM in horn performance.
- Kai Finlayson, BM cum laude '10, is a teaching fellow at NYU pursuing a PHD in Musicology.
- Sarah Van Dusen, MM '08 and GTF, is currently pursuing a PHD in Education at UC Boulder.
- Congratulations, John Dodge, MM '10, for winning the position of Associate Principal Horn position with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Santiago in Santiago, Chile.
- Congratulation, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for winning the position of 4th horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony in the fall of 2011.