The UO Horn Studio is a diverse group of UO students who study and improve their skills on the horn through a variety of degree programs. Every student has a one-hour private weekly lesson and attends studio class during the week. Students can participate in large ensembles, chamber music ensembles, horn ensemble, and perform solo recitals in various venues and organizations throughout the University music community.
Most students in the horn studio are music majors (education or performance), but there are also non-majors that participate in the studio and the school of music.
Roger Kaza Master Class, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 1 pm. UO School of Music and Dance.
RECENT EVENTS AND OTHER COOL STUFF
We do fun stuff, like this!
Members of the UO Horn Studio participated in the Northwest Horn Symposium in Bozeman, MT, in April of 2013. The UO horn ensemble performed, and a horn quartet premiered STRIA, a new horn quartet by Evan C. Paul.
Recent guest artists:
Susan Anderson (MM '12) performed Radiohead's OK Computer with the Portland Cello Project (subbing with the City of Tomorrow)
Susan has also opened a repair studio: Jackalope Brassworks, LLC
Associate Professor of Horn, Lydia Van Dreel, can be heard playing on the Chrysler 2012 Superbowl ad. Alex Ross wrote about it in his blog.
Lydia commissioned a piece by composer Eve Beglarian for natural horn and electronics. You can listen to it here.
STUDIO CLASS SCHEDULE, Fall - 2013
Week 1: Tuesday, Oct. 1 -- Welcome - Horn Ensemble Reading – bring horns
Thursday, Oct. 3 – Music Undergraduate Advising
Week 2: Monday, Oct. 7 – Brass Class – OBQ Recital, 7:30 PM, Beall Hall
Tuesday, Oct. 8 – Guest Artist – Masterclass, Roger Kaza
Thursday, Oct. 10 – Arts Management Arts & Administration
Week 3: Tuesday, Oct. 15 – Listening. Bring ears and writing utensils.
Thursday, Oc.t 17 – Music Fashion Show, NafMe Collegiate
Week 4: Monday, Oct. 21 – Mike Grose -- Brass chamber music.
Tuesday, Oct. 22 – Performance Class
Thursday, Oct. 24 – Horn Ensemble
Week 5: Tuesday, Oct. 29 – Performance Class
Thursday, Oct. 31 – Horn Ensemble
Week 6: Monday, Nov. 4 – OBQ coaches student chamber groups
Tuesday, Nov. 5 – Performance Class
Thursday, Nov. 7 – Horn Ensemble
Week 7: Tuesday, Nov. 12 – Performance Class
Thursday, Nov. 14 – Body Mapping
Week 8: Monday, Nov. 18 – OBQ coaching student chamber groups.
Tuesday, Nov. 19 -- Performance Class
Thursday, Nov. 21 – Horn Ensemble
Saturday, Nov. 23 – Margarite Waddell, Senior Recital, 4 pm
Week 9: Tuesday, Nov. 26 – Performance Class
Thursday, Nov. 28 – THANKSGIVING
Week 10: Tuesday, Dec. 3 – Performance Class
Thursday, Dec. 5 – Horn Ensemble Rehearsal
DATE TBD: Holiday Brass Benefit Concert, OBQ and student chamber groups.
- Congratulations, Arryn Bess, for winning first place in the horn category at DCI International!
- Congratulations, Erika Rudnicki, B.MusEd '08, MM '10, for your new job as dean of elementary school students in Seattle, WA.
- Congratulation, Margarite Waddell, Senior, for winning the position of Asst. principal horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony, spring 2013
- Bret Eason, currently a junior in Music Ed at UO, was a member of the National Intercollegiate Band, 2013.
- Michelle Stuart, a second year MM student, performed chamber music in Eagle Creek, Oregon, and participated in the 2013 IHS symposium.
- Eric Grunkeymeyer, a second year MM student, toured Europe with the 2013 Blue Lake Festival Orchestra.
- Rebecaa Olason, BM '12, toured Maryland, Michigan and Indiana during the summer of 2013 with her chamber group, Exalt Brass.
- Margarite Waddell, currently a senior at UO, spent the summer of 2012 at Brevard and the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Rebecca Olason, BM '12, is attending the Peabody Conservatory pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Caitlin Brody, Post-Bacchalareate studies, is attending UCLA pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Kai Finlayson, BM cum laude '10, is a teaching fellow at NYU pursuing a PHD in Musicology.
- Sarah Van Dusen, MM '08 and GTF, is currently pursuing a PHD in Education at UC Boulder.
- Congratulations, John Dodge, MM '10, for winning the position of Associate Principal Horn position with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Santiago in Santiago, Chile. For the current season, John is acting Principal Horn.
- Congratulation, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for winning the position of 4th horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony in the fall of 2011.