The UO Horn Studio is a diverse group of UO students who study and improve their skills on the horn through a variety of degree programs. Every student has a one-hour private weekly lesson and attends studio class during the week. Students can participate in large ensembles, chamber music ensembles, horn ensemble, and perform solo recitals in various venues and organizations throughout the University music community.
Most students in the horn studio are music majors (education or performance), but there are also non-majors that participate in the studio and the school of music.
Kelsi McGlothin, Junior Horn Performance Major won a concerto performance with the Oregon Sinfonietta. January 19, Portland, Oregon.
RECENT EVENTS AND OTHER COOL STUFF
Roger Kaza Master Class, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 1 pm. UO School of Music and Dance.
We do fun stuff, like this!
Members of the UO Horn Studio participated in the Northwest Horn Symposium in Bozeman, MT, in April of 2013. The UO horn ensemble performed, and a horn quartet premiered STRIA, a new horn quartet by Evan C. Paul.
Recent guest artists:
Susan Anderson (MM '12) performed Radiohead's OK Computer with the Portland Cello Project (subbing with the City of Tomorrow)
Susan has also opened a repair studio: Jackalope Brassworks, LLC
Associate Professor of Horn, Lydia Van Dreel, can be heard playing on the Chrysler 2012 Superbowl ad. Alex Ross wrote about it in his blog.
HORN STUDIO CLASS SCHEDULE - WINTER 2014
Week 1 - Tuesday, Jan. 7 Q & A with Susan Anderson about horn repair/maintenance
Week 2 – Monday, Jan.13, Brass Class, 190 –McWhorter
Tuesday, Jan.14, Kai Finlayson, research project; Horn Ensemble
Sunday, Jan. 19, Kelsi McGlothin – Concerto Performance witth Oregon Sinfonietta, 3 pm,
Sunnyside Seventh-day Adventist Church, 10501 SE Market Street, Portland
Week 3 -- Monday, Jan. 20, recital, Beall, 8 pm, Joe Alessi, NY Phil
Tuesday, Jan. 21, Master Class Joe Alessi, rm. 173
Week 4 -- Monday, January 27, Horn Ensemble, 7 pm, room 190
Tuesday, January 28, Performance Class
Week 5 -- Monday, February 3, Horn Ensemble, 7 pm, room 190
Tuesday, February 4, Performance Class
Friday, February 7, Master Class, Andrew Clark, natural horn
12 pm – 1:30 pm, room 190
Week 6 -- Monday, February 10, Brass Concert 7:30 pm
Tuesday, February 11, Performance Class
Week 7 – Monday, February 17, Horn Ensemble, 7 pm, room 190
Tuesday, February 18 – no class
Week 8 -- Monday, February 24, Brass Class, Concerto Competition
Brass Preliminary, 7 pm, room 190
Tuesday, February 25, Performance Class
Week 9 -- Monday, March 3, Horn Ensemble, 7 pm, room 190
Tuesday, March 4, Performance Class
Week 10 – Monday, March 10, Horn Ensemble, 7 pm, room 190
Tuesday, March 11, Eric Grunkemeyer, Opera Excerpts presentation;
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGothin, junior in horn performance, for winning the Oregon Sinfonietta Concerto Competition.
- Congratulations, Arryn Bess, for winning first place in the horn category at DCI International!
- Congratulations, Erika Rudnicki, B.MusEd '08, MM '10, for your new job as dean of elementary school students in Seattle, WA.
- Congratulation, Margarite Waddell, Senior, for winning the position of Asst. principal horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony, spring 2013
- Bret Eason, currently a junior in Music Ed at UO, was a member of the National Intercollegiate Band, 2013.
- Michelle Stuart, a second year MM student, performed chamber music in Eagle Creek, Oregon, and participated in the 2013 IHS symposium.
- Eric Grunkeymeyer, a second year MM student, toured Europe with the 2013 Blue Lake Festival Orchestra.
- Rebecaa Olason, BM '12, toured Maryland, Michigan and Indiana during the summer of 2013 with her chamber group, Exalt Brass.
- Margarite Waddell, currently a senior at UO, spent the summer of 2012 at Brevard and the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Rebecca Olason, BM '12, is attending the Peabody Conservatory pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Caitlin Brody, Post-Bacchalareate studies, is attending UCLA pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Kai Finlayson, BM cum laude '10, is a teaching fellow at NYU pursuing a PHD in Musicology.
- Sarah Van Dusen, MM '08 and GTF, is currently pursuing a PHD in Education at UC Boulder.
- Congratulations, John Dodge, MM '10, for winning the position of Associate Principal Horn position with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Santiago in Santiago, Chile. For the current season, John is acting Principal Horn.
- Congratulation, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for winning the position of 4th horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony in the fall of 2011.