The UO Horn Studio is a diverse group of UO students who study and improve their skills on the horn through a variety of degree programs. Every student has a one-hour private weekly lesson and attends studio class during the week. Students can participate in large ensembles, chamber music ensembles, horn ensemble, and perform solo recitals in various venues and organizations throughout the University music community.
Most students in the horn studio are music majors (education or performance), but there are also non-majors that participate in the studio and the school of music.
American Brass Quintet residency at UO, Feb. 21 and 22, with hornist Eric Reed
RECENT EVENTS AND OTHER COOL STUFF
Professor Van Dreel performed and taught in Nairobi, Kenya in October, 2016 at the Kenya Conseratoire of Music. She brought 4 donated horns and other music materials for the Kenyan students.
We hosted the Northwest Horn Symposium, 2015 -- April 10-12
Denise Tryon Masterclass, Monday, Nov. 17, 7-9 pm, SOMD rm. 190.
Professor Van Dreel has released a new solo CD: New Millennium Music for Horn, available at CD Baby, iTunes, Amazon, and various streaming music sites.
International Horn Symposium - London Professor Van Dreel presented on "Technology in Performance and Pedagogy"
UO Horn students participated in the 2014 Northwest Horn Symposium where we performed as a Horn Ensemble. Also, Mara Liechty took home double gold, winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition!
Kelsi McGlothin, Junior Horn Performance Major won a concerto performance with the Oregon Sinfonietta. January 19, Portland, Oregon.
Andrew Clark, Natural Horn Master Class, Friday, February 7, noon - 1:30 pm, room 190
Roger Kaza Master Class, Tuesday, Oct. 8, 1 pm. UO School of Music and Dance.
We do fun stuff, like this!
Members of the UO Horn Studio participated in the Northwest Horn Symposium in Bozeman, MT, in April of 2013. The UO horn ensemble performed, and a horn quartet premiered STRIA, a new horn quartet by Evan C. Paul.
Recent guest artists:
Susan Anderson (MM '12) performed Radiohead's OK Computer with the Portland Cello Project (subbing with the City of Tomorrow)
Susan has also opened a repair studio: Jackalope Brassworks, LLC
Associate Professor of Horn, Lydia Van Dreel, can be heard playing on the Chrysler 2012 Superbowl ad. Alex Ross wrote about it in his blog.
HORN STUDIO CLASS SCHEDULE
week 1 Tuesday, Thursday Jan 5, 7--1 pm Hindemith rehearsal, rm 190
week 2 Monday, Jan 11, 7-9 pm Brass class - Hindemith rehearsal
(open rehearsal-attendance optional)
Tuesday, Jan 12 1 pm Hindemith rehearsal, rm 190
Thursday, Jan 14 1 pm studio class – Term info and Fun with Fripperies!
Thursday, Jan 14 Faculty collaborative concert 7:30 pm Beall
week 3 Tuesday, Jan 19 1 pm performance class
Thursday, Jan 21, Stephen Fissel, Seattle Symphony 1 pm room 190
week 4 Monday, Jan 25 - Brass Class - John Davison Masters Recital 8 pm, Beall
Tuesday, Jan 26 – Performance Class
Thursday, Jan 28 – Mock Audition #1
week 5 Monday, Feb. 1 Brass Class – chamber coachings
T/Th - no studio class
week 6 Tuesday, Feb. 9 Performance Class
Thursday, Feb. 11 Mock Audition #2
week 7 Tuesday, no studio class feb. 16
Thursday, Feb. 18 Brass Area Concerto Competition prelims, room 190, 1 pm
week 8 Sunday, Feb. 21 ABQ Chamber Music @ Beall concert 3 pm
7-9 pm ABQ Master Class room TBD
Monday, Feb 22 noon - 6 pm ABQ Master Classes in Beall
(Horn-Eric Reed, noon to 1:30)
7-9 pm ABQ Career talk in 190
Tuesday, Feb. 23 Listening/score study – Mahler 1
Thursday, Feb. 25 Mahler 1 reading with Teuph, rm 190
week 9 Monday, Feb. 29 Brahms Trio in Beall (Van Dreel, Dossin, Park) 7:30 pm
Tuesday, no class March 1
Thursday, March 3 Performance Class
week 10 Tuesday, March 8 no studio class
Thursday, March 10 Performance class
- Congratulations, Peter Yurkovich, BM, '08; MM, '10 on becoming a U.S. Marine and soon to join the Marine Band (San Diego?)
- Congratulations, Sarah Morrow, MM '14, on your position as Brass Faculty Head at The People's Music School in Chicago!
- Congratulations, Jarek Bartels, BMusEd '15, on your new job as K-12 music and band teacher in Moro, Oregon!
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGlothin, BM '15, on winning the 2nd horn position with the Eugene Concert Orchestra!
- Congratulations, Bret Eason, MMusEd '15, BMusEd '14, on your new job as music teacher at North Valley High School, Grants Pass!
- Good luck, Michelle Stuart, MM '14, MMusEd '15, as you continue in graduate studies at the Royal College of London!
- Good luck, Margarite Waddell, BM '14, as you continue in graduate studies at San Francisco Conservatory
- Congratulations, Mara Liechty, MMusEd '14 on your new position as band director at Junction City, High School
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGlothin, BM '15, for winning the 2nd horn position during your senior year in the Oregon Mozart Players, and the Asst. Principal position in the Rogue Valley Symphony
- Congratulations, Eric Grunkemeyer, MM '14 for winning the 4th horn position with the Rogue Valley Symphony
- Sarah Morrow, MM '14, spent the summer of '14 touring Europe as principal horn with the Blue Lake Festival Orchestra
- Congratulations, Mara Liechty, BM performance and education '13, MMus Eduction '14, for winning both the collegiate concerto competition and the collegiate excerpt competition at the Northwest Horn Symposium '14.
- Congratulations, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for your new job as a repair tech at Wally's!
- Congratulations, Kelsi McGothin, BM '15, for winning the 2014 Oregon Sinfonietta Concerto Competition.
- Congratulations, Arryn Bess, BMusEd, '15, for winning first place during your junior year, in the horn category at DCI International!
- Congratulations, Erika Rudnicki, B.MusEd '08, MM '10, for your new job as Assistant Principal at Federal Way Public Schools, WA.
- Congratulation, Margarite Waddell, BM '14, for winning the position of Asst. principal horn, during your junioro year, with the Rogue Valley Symphony, spring 2013
- Bret Eason, BMusEd '14; MMusEd, '15, was a member of the National Intercollegiate Band, 2013.
- Michelle Stuart, MM '14 student, performed chamber music in Eagle Creek, Oregon, and participated in the 2013 and 2014 IHS symposium.
- Eric Grunkeymeyer, MM '14 student, toured Europe with the 2013 Blue Lake Festival Orchestra.
- Rebecaa Olason, BM '12, toured Maryland, Michigan and Indiana during the summer of 2013 with her chamber group, Exalt Brass.
- Margarite Waddell, BM '14 spent the summer of 2012 at Brevard and the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Rebecca Olason, BM '12, graduated from The Peabody Conservatory in 2014 with her MM in horn performance.
- Caitlin Brody, Post-Bacchalareate studies at UO, graduated from UCLA in 2014 with her MM in horn performance.
- Kai Finlayson, BM cum laude '10, is a teaching fellow at NYU pursuing a PHD in Musicology.
- Sarah Van Dusen, MM '08 and GTF, is currently pursuing a PHD in Education at UC Boulder.
- Congratulations, John Dodge, MM '10, for winning the position of Associate Principal Horn position with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Santiago in Santiago, Chile.
- Congratulation, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for winning the position of 4th horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony in the fall of 2011.