The UO Horn Studio is a diverse group of UO students who study and improve their skills on the horn through a variety of degree programs. Every student has a one-hour private weekly lesson and attends studio class during the week. Students can participate in large ensembles, chamber music ensembles, horn ensemble, and perform solo recitals in various venues and organizations throughout the University music community.
Most students in the horn studio are music majors (education or performance), but there are also non-majors that participate in the studio and the school of music.
Members of the UO Horn Studio are traveling to the Northwest Horn Symposium in Bozeman, MT at the end of April!
RECENT EVENTS AND OTHER COOL STUFF
Adam Unsworth recital and master class
Sunday, March 10, 7:30 pm, Beall Recital Hall; Monday, March 11
Master Class, Nov. 7 noon - 2 pm, room 190
Recital, Nov. 7 8 pm, Beall Hall Click for Ticket Info
Student Forum Presentation, Nov. 8, 1 - 1:50 pm, room 178
Master Class, Nov. 10 1:30-3:30 pm, room 190
Susan Anderson (MM '12) performed Radiohead's OK Computer with the Portland Cello Project (subbing with the City of Tomorrow)
Associate Professor of Horn, Lydia Van Dreel, can be heard playing on the Chrysler 2012 Superbowl ad. Alex Ross wrote about it in his blog.
Lydia commissioned a piece by composer Eve Beglarian for natural horn and electronics. You can listen to it here.
STUDIO CLASS SCHEDULE, Spring - 2013
Tuesday, April 2 Horn Ensemble
Thursday, April 4 Student Forum: AFM History & Preparing for the Music Profession-Now and in the Future
Monday, April 8 Brass Class: OBQ Concert, Rm 190, 7 pm
Tuesday, April 9 Horn Ensemble
Thursday, April 11 Horn Ensemble
Tuesday, April 16 Horn Ensemble
**April 18 – 22nd HORNS TRAVEL TO BOZEMAN**
Monday, April 22` Brass Class, RM 190, 7 pm – David Fedderly - Breathing
Tuesday, April 23 Horn Symposium recap/discussion
Thursday, April 25 Student Forum: David Fedderly Master Class
Projection and Phrasing
Tuesday, April 29 Performance Class
Thursday, May 1 Performance Class
Monday, May 6 Brass Class, Rm 190, 7 pm Brian McWhorter
Tuesday, May 7 Performance Class
Thursday, May 9 Student Forum: Joan Baez at Spring Hill: A Study of Intersecting Histories, Stephen Kelly
Tuesday, May 14 Performance Class
Thursday, May 16 Student Forum: Undergrad Advising
Monday, May 20 Brass Class, Rm. 190, 7 pm Henry Henniger
Tuesday, May 21 Performance Class
Thursday, May 23 Horn Ensemble
Tuesday, May 28 Horn Ensemble
Thursday, May 30 Student Forum: Student Recital Series
Saturday, June 1 ALL THAT BRASS! 2 pm, Beall Hall
Tuesday, June 4 Performance Class
Thursday, June 6 SOMD Award Ceremony
- Margarite Waddell, currently a junior at UO, spent the summer at Brevard and the Fresh Inc. Festival.
- Rebecca Olason, BM '12, is attending the Peabody Conservatory pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Caitlin Brody, Post-Bacchalareate studies, is attending UCLA pursuing her MM in horn performance.
- Kai Finlayson, BM cum laude '10, is a teaching fellow at NYU pursuing a PHD in Musicology.
- Sarah Van Dusen, MM '08 and GTF, is currently pursuing a PHD in Education at UC Boulder.
- Congratulations, John Dodge, MM '10, for winning the position of Associate Principal Horn position with the Orquesta Filarmonica de Santiago in Santiago, Chile. For the current season, John is acting Principal Horn.
- Congratulation, Susan Anderson, MM '12, for winning the position of 4th horn with the Rogue Valley Symphony in the fall of 2011.